Wood has been used as a flooring treatment since ages. When you are looking for wood, it means you are already influenced by the elegance of wood. Empowered by dual strength of arresting appeal and longevity, there is no way you can strike off hardwood from your list. Indeed, affording hardwood floors is not savoring a piece of cake; it demands a substantial portion of your saved money. So why purchase your aspired floors blindly?
There are many varieties of solid wood available in market, each having its distinctions and specialities. Oftentimes, the wooden planks are graded to ensure about the quality to its buyers. The type of wood used, texture of grains, density and presence of defects all together define the durability and price rate. Once you get familiar with ways to identify the strengths of a particular hardwood variety, it will be easier for you to determine what suits your requirements as per the affordability. Broadly, top grade solid wood materials are obtained from best portion of tree trunks.
A Little about Sapwood & Heartwood
The inner layer of a tree is initially sapwood. But as it produces and transfers nutrients to the entire tree, in the process it moves outward near the bark of the tree. The center of the trunk eventually gets hardened and is known as heartwood. It is the dead inner wood darkened in color by the deposition of various substances.
Hardwood is derived from broad-leaved trees like oak, maple and ash, which thrive in tropical and temperate climate. Softwood, on the other hand is obtained from conifers like fir, spruce and pine growing mostly in temperate regions.
Comprehending the Hardwood Forms
- When you desire the perfect amalgamation of grains, neither too heavy nor too low; Hickory is just the right option for you. It is quite hard in nature, which makes it applicable for high- traffic areas of your home.
- Heartwood of Hickory is accessible in dark to medium shades of brown, whereas the sapwood is white or creamy in color and can be stained comfortably for remarkable results.
- Good quality Hickory planks may retain natural remains of knots, mineral streaks and worm holes; but there will be no compromise on existence of unwanted wide splits.
- Hickory wood planks are provided distressed look using wire-brushed technique. The wire brushing magnifies the rich texture of grain and makes the room appear classic with the created rustic look.
- Hardwood Ash grows in the South East of Canada. It has light-colored sapwood and the heartwood consists of gray to light shades of brown and yellow colors. The planks have rough texture of straight grains.
- The manufactured Ash wood flooring materials retain 40% of natural elements. They bear knots and mineral marks but not remnants of stains or splits.
- While closely formed grains conceal natural oddities, the advantage of retaining natural impressions is that undesired scratches get hidden among them.
- Wire-brushed technique is also utilized in Ash wooden planks. The process helps in faultlessly highlighting the superior texture of grains.
Protected with semi-gloss and low sheen, finish Ash hardwood floors look great for many years. Likewise, many Hickory flooring materials are coated with semi-gloss finish and come with a warranty period of 35 years.