Vinyl is one of the most cost effective forms of flooring and it is very popular among homeowners due to its durability. This type of flooring is water and stain resistant, thus proving to a great choice in bathrooms and kitchens. Available in a wide array of styles, designs and colours, vinyl flooring gives countless options to choose from.
There are two kinds of vinyl flooring available, tile flooring and sheet flooring. When tile flooring is installed, the tiles measure 9”x9” or 12”x12”. On the other hand, sheet flooring material is laid down in sheets that are 6 or 12 feet wide. Compared to tile flooring, sheet flooring provides more water resistance.
- Durable and appropriate for areas that face high foot traffic.
- Vinyl is a cost effective choice of flooring
- Ideal for bathrooms because it’s easy to clean and water resistant.
- Maintenance cost is minimal and can be swept or mopped
- Reduces noise and is extremely comfortable.
- Vinyl is available in a wide array of colours and patterns
- Vinyl can be installed directly over linoleum or previous vinyl flooring
- Vinyl loses colour when exposed to direct sunlight
- Sharp objects, if dropped, can damage the surface of the vinyl flooring.
- Vinyl floors can develop curls or bumps at the edges over time.
- Vinyl is manufactured by using Polyvinyl Chloride or PVC and it emits Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) that can cause respiratory issues.
Is Vinyl Flooring the Right Choice for You?
Vinyl flooring can be the perfect choice if you’re looking for something that is affordable, durable and versatile. Low installation cost and minimum maintenance is the primary factors responsible for making vinyl a favourite among homeowners. On the other hand, VOC emission is a negative factor.
At the end what matters is the choice and preferences of the homeowner. As a homeowner, you must prioritize your needs and choose the type of flooring that best suits your home.